Class of the Month: Zumba
What is it?
Zumba is a combination of fitness and dance moves to a fusion of Latin and international music. It’s fun with easy-to-follow dance steps and a ‘feel happy’ workout that’s good for both your body and your mind.
A typical session lasts around 45 minutes to an hour, and incorporates several dance styles, including cumbia, merengue, salsa, reggaeton, mambo, rumba, calypso and flamenco.
Why do it?
- You’ll lose weight, tone your muscles and increase your cardio strength
- It can help improve your co-ordination.
- It’s a great way to boost your self-esteem and feel happy!
Quick facts about Zumba
- It’s named after the Colombian slang word meaning to buzz like a bee or move fast, which is just how people describe the routines.
- It’s a dance fitness programme created by Colombian dancer and choreographer Alberto ‘Beto’ Perez during the 1990s.
- It’s reportedly enjoyed by over 15 million people in 180 different countries.
Got any questions or want to find out more about Zumba at The Studio? Get in touch by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.